Sunday, April 8, 2012

Not a happy gal

Step 1: Purchase an iPad 2 with Wifi + 3G to be able to use it where no wifi is available.
Step 2: Add apps and download iBooks; learn to use and depend on the iPad 2.
Step 3: Use the iPad 2 at my second job, especially to be able to use Square, a credit card reader.
Step 4: Lose free access to wifi at second job; plan to start Verizon Wireless service for iPad 2.
Step 5: Hold online chat with someone (seemed like an ESL helpdesk) to determine how to make my iPhone a hotspot and/or start my 3G service on my iPad 2; after 48 minutes, there was no useful information and no answer to either question so I was advised to call Verizon Wireless.
Step 6: Call Verizon Wireless to start service only to find that the manufacturer of the iPad 2 assigned duplicate MEID numbers to my device and at least one other (someone who lives in NY and had already registered with VW to use the 3G) so they can't establish an account for me to use it, and I was advised to send my iPad 2 back and ask for a replacement with a new MEID number. I'm upset.
Step 7: Call Apple and talk with tech support who puts me on hold, with lame Muzak for company, for 15 minutes waiting for a senior account advisor; the senior account advisor makes no apology and phrases the explanation in such a way that it sounds like a) Apple isn't responsible, and b) this almost never happens, although he can see from their records that it has. (note: at least one of my students also had this identical thing happen with his iPhone) He says that Apple will replace my iPad 2 after I backup files and apps, wipe the device clean, and send it back via FedEx. He's told that I will not be driving 45 minutes to a FedEx store, so he agrees to send a prepaid box to my home address. I am not happy.
Step 8: I realize a dilemma - this error on Apple's quality control part not to check the MEID numbers to make sure each is unique (were they thinking that no one would notice? or that people wouldn't actually use the features they paid for?) is creating a major inconvenience for me, but I've been a very loyal Apple user since the late 1980's. If I threaten to publicize the error that's clearly theirs, I can't claim to be an Apple supporter, and the time and effort to press the issue in the legal system might prolong my inability to have and use my iPad 2. On the other hand, if I just let them walk all over me, that's certainly not right either.
Step 9: Write email to the senior account manager detailing the great inconvenience that Apple has caused me due to its negligence; receive pacifying email in return requesting phone conversation.
Step 10: After playing phone tag, the senior account manager calls and asks what kind of compensation I had in mind. I suggest upgrading the memory and he says no, he can't do that, but let's talk with a consumer support rep to see what might be available. I'm put on hold and 10 minutes later he offers me an accessory like a new smart cover or one of the cables that connect iPads to other devices. At first I'm somewhat satisfied, but then I realize how little that represents. The senior account manager says for me to think about it and we'll talk again when I've received my replacement iPad 2 (with duplicate engraving from the first one) to see if it's satisfactory to be used with Verizon Wireless.
Step 11: Two days later the shipping box arrives; I back up files and apps carefully, reset (wipe clean) the iPad, and pack it securely in its box, sending it back to California via a local store that's a FedEx pickup spot. The replacement will take 4 to 6 work days to reach me.
Step 12: Wait. Miss reading the iBook I was halfway through (yes, I can read it 10 lines at a time on my iPhone, but... no). Miss making a sale at my second job because I don't have access to my Square account. I am NOT a happy gal.
Step 13: Trying not to let this eat at me but refusing to let it drop until a satisfactory resolution is reached.

I wonder how many Apple product users have been affected by this shortcoming on the part of Apple, and if a class action suit has been or might be made. I suspect that Apple's attempt to minimalize the problem and to assuage the discontent of their customers with replacement (which is part of their warrantee anyway) or fairly insignificant trinkets is keeping quiet the extent to which this problem has occurred.

Look forward to Step 14....

-----------------------------------------

Step 14: The new iPad came, the trinket arrived, and all is well. In fact, I've purchased a bluetooth keyboard/hard case for it, used its 3G capabilities to sell items at craft fairs, using Square to allow customers to charge items, and I've finished reading the iBook. In fact, I've downloaded a few more, too, and I've enjoyed helping others who have bought or who might buy iPads to see the sense in doing it and using it. The annoyance dissipated not long after the new iPad arrived and did exactly what it was supposed to do with minimal fuss. So much for my hissy fit!

No comments: